Monday, January 27, 2014

Praying Over a Stethoscope

I'm kinda new to the pastoring game, but I had a fun moment yesterday after worship - I said a prayer over a stethoscope.

A stethoscope.

A congregant just received her RN (I hope I'm saying that correctly) in October, and she's specifically felt called to be a minister of health to the aged in the Arlington area.  She asked me a couple of weeks ago if she brought her stethoscope up to worship whether I would say a prayer over it for her.  I was surprised by the request, but told her that it would be my pleasure.

She brought it to me yesterday, and we knelt at the altar and said a prayer for her ministry as a new nurse, for all of the people that the stethoscope would touch, and for the strength she would need in her new calling.

It was a great moment.  Some days this job is incredibly hard, but little things like this break through and show me what heaven can be like right here.

Just curious ... What's the strangest thing a person has ever asked you to pray over?

No comments:

Post a Comment